We were notified Aug 31, 2018 that the family we had hoped to sponsor from Syria have been relocated to Norway. We are disappointed they are not coming to Vancouver but rejoice that they will live in freedom and peace. Therefore, WVBC is pleased to announce that we shall be sponsoring a Refugee Claimant family. For this we are excited to be working with Journey Home Community, a Christian organization that assists Refugee Claimants in BC. Inspired by God’s love and in partnership with churches Journey Home welcomes Refugee Claimants into community by offering housing, settlement support, and relational care.
Journey Home believes that all people are made in the image of God and respects and affirms the value of each individual irrespective of their race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group.
Refugee Claimants (aka Asylum Seekers) are, by definition, already in Canada, having fled their homes often with only a plastic bag of belongings or the clothes they are wearing. Such families are in desperate need of help.
Because Refugee Claimants are processed through a different immigration stream from refugees who apply from abroad Claimants are not queue jumpers and are not taking the place of refugees who are coming to Canada from abroad for resettlement.
WVBC looks forward to welcoming and supporting a family in need.
“For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.” (Matthew 25:35).
We are pleased to announce that through contacts in our own congregation, together with help from Canadian Baptists of Western Canada, we have found a Syrian family of four whom we hope to sponsor. The family currently lives in Lebanon after fleeing from their home in northern Syria, and they are now applying to the Canadian government for refugee status. We hope a decision will be made by June 2018. We pray for the family’s well-being, that their application for immigration will be approved by the Canadian Government, and that we will be able to welcome them here in 2018.
May 12, 2017:
Syrian Family update: Although no longer in the headlines the Syrian civil war continues, innocents are being killed, families are still fleeing, and the need is still acute. Since 2011 more than 5 million Syrians have fled their country – a further 6 million are internally displaced. Canadian Baptists of Western Canada (CBWC) has allocated a family of four to WVBC for sponsorship and is currently looking for a Christian family in Lebanon who are refugees from Syria. We hope to receive details about a possible family within the next month. Please pray that a family may soon be found for us to bless.
We were very sad to learn recently that the Syrian family we had expected to welcome to Canada had their refugee application rejected by the Canadian government. We continue to pray for them, that they will find a place to call home very soon and we trust that God is even now preparing this for them.
We also continue to believe that God has called us to sponsor a Syrian refugee family. To this end we have applied to Canadian Baptists of Western Canada (our Sponsorship Agreement Holder) for a new family to support; we hope to receive a positive response by March 31, 2017.
We have much to be thankful for. During the past year:
- we formed a committee which is passionate and enthusiastic in its desire to support a refugee family
- we have received enough donations of gifts-in-kind to furnish a two-bedroom apartment
- we have been blessed by the very generous donation from BigSteelBox of a container in which we are storing all the household goods
- we reached out to the congregation and community with appeals and fund-raising events which means we have very nearly reached our goal of $50,000 to support a family for a yearNovember 26, 2016:
Please join us at West Vancouver Baptist Church on Saturday November 26, 7-9pm for a wonderful evening of Christmas-themed comedy and music. Hosted by our Syrian Family Fundraising Committee, Laugh Again Christmas features award-winning Canadian author and speaker, Phil Callaway, known for his humorous yet perceptive look at life. Through his gift of storytelling Phil will share a message of hope, healing, and encouragement and remind us of the true meaning of Christmas. He will be joined by acoustic guitarist Jay Calder. Phil’s weekly radio program Laugh Again is broadcast across North America and the UK (and can be heard locally on KARI radio at AM550). Back to the Bible and Compassion Canada have teamed up to bring Phil’s Christmas show to audiences across Canada. Tickets are $20 and available at West Van Baptist Church (604 922 0911) or the Eventbrite link below. A portion of the ticket price will help support the Syrian Family sponsored by West Van Baptist. In addition, this event will feature a presentation by Compassion Canada, highlighting the ways that people can help release children from poverty around the world. Come yourself – and bring your friends. Please note that the show is most suitable for an adult audience of 18 and over.July 6, 2016:
Thank you to the many people who have donated money and gifts-in-kind, or who have volunteered their time. We are now just over halfway to our goal of $50,000.Like many other Canadians we were deeply moved by the predicament of people fleeing from the Syrian civil war and felt called to action. Our inspiration has been Christʼs example of compassion, mercy and grace, and the Biblical injunction to “Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed. Rescue the weak and the needy.” (Psalm 82:3-4)In addition, we would welcome and encourage our church neighbours and the public to partner with us.Our goal is to raise $50,000 – and we are grateful to be almost half-way there!We look forward to welcoming the family and partnering with them as they transition into Canadian life. We recognize that leaving their home country requires an enormous amount of courage and a huge adjustment on their part. In turn we pledge to be loving, patient, supportive, flexible, and sensitive to the cultural differences and to their needs as unique human beings, made in God’s image.We believe we are following Christ’s teaching to love our neighbour by helping this family to a better life.
- The Lord God has told us what is right and what he demands: “See that justice is done, let mercy be your first concern, and humbly obey your God” (Micah 6:8)
- Before 2011 Syria had a population of about 23 million. Since then more than 10 million people have fled their homes. Two thirds are internally displaced and the rest have sought refuge elsewhere.
- Please get in touch with the church office (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to volunteer or have any questions. Your enquiry will be directed to the appropriate committee member. For gifts-in-kind donations please contact Gillian Palejko at email@example.com. You may help us reach our financial goal by donating on-line: click on the Donate link above and choose Syrian Sponsorship Fund in the Donation Option.
- Currently we are looking for volunteers to assist in fundraising, to help us pick up donated furniture, and to serve on the sub-committee which will help the family integrate into the community on their arrival. (The timing of their arrival is not yet known.) We are also accepting donations of money, furniture, and household goods.
- We envision this endeavour engaging our whole congregation. Many of us attended the first meeting called by the Syrian Sponsorship Committee and were excited about working together on this great endeavour. Dozens of people put up their hands and committed their time and/or their money.
- April, 2016:
West Vancouver Baptist Church is pleased to be sponsoring a Syrian Family. We are partnering with Canadian Baptists of Western Canada (which is a government Sponsorship Agreement Holder) under a Private Sponsorship arrangement. We have undertaken to support a family of four for one year: they are a young Christian couple with an 11-year-old daughter and an 8-year-old son.
- Click here to see Phil’s invitation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI3IbwBaZZI
Click here to get tickets online: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/a-laugh-again-christmas-west-vancouver-baptist-vancouver-bc-tickets-28561275544
- We are planning an appreciation pancake breakfast in March to thank our congregation and community which has supported this endeavour so wonderfully.