Wisdom in Our Compassion
“He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD and he will reward him for what he has done.”
Proverbs 19:17 (NIV)
What does it mean to be “kind to the poor”? Why would that be considered wise? How does God reward these wise people?
It is wise to share with those in need.
- Proverbs 22:9 – “A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor.”
- It is wise to share with those in need… because an unselfish life is a blessed life.
It is wise to defend those in need.
- Proverbs 29:7 – “The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.”
- Proverbs 21:13 – “If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.”
- It is wise to defend those in need… because a life standing for justice leads to a life not lived alone.
It is wise to love those in need.
- Proverbs 31:20 – “(The noble woman) opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.”
Picture of Gustave
- I Corinthians 13:3 – If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.”
- It is wise to love those in need… because a caring life produces a life of meaning.
Part of the biblical response to the question of suffering is that God expects his followers to do something for people who have needs.
There is wisdom in compassion because
anytime we reflect our loving heavenly Father
our lives become richer, as do the lives of others.
- 箴言22:9 -“眼目慈善的就必蒙福，因他将食物分给穷人。”
- 箴言29:7 -“义人知道查明穷人的案，恶人没有聪明就不得而知。”
- 箴言21:13 -“塞耳不听穷人哀求的，他将来呼吁也不蒙应允。”
- 哥林多前书13:3 –“我若将所有的周济穷人，又舍己身叫人焚烧，却没有爱，仍然于我无益。”