Statement of Faith
West Vancouver Baptist Church, a church in affiliation with the Canadian Baptists of Western Canada, holds and teaches doctrines and principles which Baptist Churches have commonly held, among which are:
- Belief in one God, Creator of all, existing in three equal Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- Belief that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are divinely inspired and, with the instructional help of the Holy Spirit, are sufficient authority in matters of belief and practise.
- Belief in the sinfulness of all people and each one's dependency upon the mercy of God for salvation.
- Belief in the incarnation of the Son of God, and His atonement for sin by the sacrifice of Himself and His shed blood on Calvary's cross, through which believers are freely justified by grace.
- Belief that the church universal, as the body of Christ, has as its objective to serve Christ as Lord and Saviour.
- Belief in the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ, the resurrection of the just and the unjust, the eternal reward of the righteous and the retribution of the unrighteous.
- Belief that there are two principal ordinances to be observed by the church, as found in the New Testament:
- Baptism - the immersion of the believer in water, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, whereby he or she obeys Christ's command and sets forth his or her identity with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection. The ordinance is given to the Church to administer and commend to the believer.
- The Lord's Supper - the partaking by believers of bread and wine, which symbolizes the Lord's body and shed blood, in the remembrance of Him proclaiming His death until he comes. Believing Christians are invited to participate in this ordinance.
- Belief in the separation of Church and State and acknowledgement that God ordains the powers that be, for the good order of society.
By holding to and proclaiming these beliefs, we aim to make more and better followers of Jesus Christ